Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Little DIY

As I mentioned two posts ago... I've been working on a little project. A new desk for my computer...
A few nights last week were dedicated to the project, cleaning, sanding, priming, painting and finishing, ready to be moved into the house come the weekend.

I wasn't too fussy with the project, mostly due to my DIY inadequacies ...but despite this I'm really happy with the end result.


The desk doesn't look as beaten up in the photo...


My DIY Assistant...


Because of my poor sanding efforts, I primed and sealed the desk with my beloved BIN. This stuff is awesome. It gives the desk a "sanded" finish without sanding. Perfect! 


I primed the faces of the drawers. 


After the primer had dried I gave everything a light sand to reduce the brush marks.


You can kind of see the primed surface in this shot...
After this I painted 2 top coats using a small roller brush. I used an Enamel Acrylic in Semi Gloss. It will wear quite well and I already had some in the supply cupboard. 




And now.... The big reveal....



My sunny new workspace in between the lounge and kitchen. It's the perfect spot! 
The chair is very badly recovered I know... but it is just a piece of fabric tucked in as a temporary fix. The chair was made by my Mr D's Great Grandfather ( I maybe wrong there but it was someone in the family history anyway), so not really a piece of furniture you'd attack with white paint!


I put a few items on the desk to personalise the workspace. A vase, a photo of Mr D in Paris and a small print by his talented Poppa.


Another angle....


My new favourite place! 


 The best part: The cost... or lack of... 

For those interested: 

Desk - Free
Paint & Primer - Already Owned
Sandpaper - $5
Handles - $12
Small Photo Frame $3 from Typo
Vase - $16 from The Warehouse
Orchid (fake) - $12 from The Warehouse
Small blue journal - $17 from Typo

Total cost $65.00 

No comments:

Post a Comment