Thursday, July 4, 2013

CousCous - so good I made it twice.

It feels like it's been a while since I posted an Art approved dinner recipe.
Possibly for a few reasons...

1. He has been sick
2. A sick baby is a fussy eater
3. I wasn't sure if he rejected meals because of sickness or taste
4. Was throwing food a phase? or a reaction to a foul dinner?
5. I've been too busy to be creative
6. Sometimes a jar of food is considered a treat O.K?
7. We repeat a lot of meals... because they're YUM!

So now that I've justified that, let me share this one. Not ground breakingly innovative...but easy and delish, so that's enough reason to share right? I don't know why I didn't make more of this and have it for our own dinner? Next time...

The method for this one is pretty straight forward..
.

How to recreate this one... 

Add 1/4 cup boiling water (or boiling salt reduced vege/chicken stock) to 1/4 cup couscous, cover and let sit. Easy.
Steam cubes of pumpkin, courgette and spinnach. I like to add them in that order to avoid over steaming, you really want to just wilt the spinnach, not cook the crap out of it.
I had some roast beef in the fridge left over from the night before. I finely diced it and heated it in a saucepan, then threw that in too.
I then fluffed the couscous, turned it into a larger bowl, added in the vegetables, the meat and combined. I slighlty mash the pumpkin as I'm mixing. Once combined, I drizzled in some coconut milk until the mixture became more combined.
The meat is totally optional. I think any meat would work with this dish - bacon, lamb, chicken.... just not pork probably because pork is yuck.

The idea with making it all more combined is that you can squish it into balls and let the kid feed themselves. Really fluffy couscous doesn't work too well as a finger food... or a spoon food sometimes as it just ends up everywhere! If you find it a bit too fluffy, just add in some more coconut milk. I spoon feed the first bit of the meal, then leave little piles of the mixture on the table for Art to feed himself with (or throw on the floor).

And there you have it - nothing revolutionary, but quick and tasty.









No comments:

Post a Comment