Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Easy dinners

Easy dinners are a life saver. I find that if I can whip something up in record time that's also nutritious, I'm winning.

The child is fed, I suffer no "I just fed my child crap" guilt, and there are minimal dishes to clean up.
Win win win.

Art eats this often. He doesn't complain (enjoying that while it lasts!), so I keep feeding it to him.
It may come in handy one night when you've got no time to lovingly bake a pumpkin in the oven for thirty minutes, or stir a risotto for twenty or create a stupidly fancy masterpiece that your child will thrown on the ground anyway.

Here it is. Nothing magic or amazing but totally edible.


Here's what's involved. 

Fill a pot with water and get it on the boil. 
Place your steamer on top and get the steam going. 

Add pasta to the boiling water in the pot. I mix rice and vegetable organic pasta spirals with regular wheat pasta 'springs'. Both easy finger food pastas. 

After about 5 minutes. Throw some broccoli, sliced courgette and frozen peas into your steamer. 

After 3-5 minutes (depends how crunchy your child likes it), take everything off the stove, throw it into a bowl and let it cool a bit. 

Add some cracked fresh pepper, a tiny bit of salt (not really needed) and grate some parmesan cheese over the top. If I have a lemon handy I'll squeeze a little bit of lemon juice over the dish too. 

That's it. 

Take the rest and put it in their lunch box for the next day, it's still yummy cold. The steamer is honestly your best friend. The juice from the vegetables as they steam falls down into the cooking pasta, so maybe in some roundabout way, the lost nutrients are found again? Or maybe not... but anyway, dinner will be done in about 10 minutes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment