Monday, July 5, 2010

A little black for your board

We went to this nice little restaurant on Friday night with friends...I was not disappointed with my decision to skip a main meal and just order a platter of french cheese, bread and meat. For under $25 I was temporarily transported back to Paris. Magic. Needless to say I will return.

But this isn't a restaurant review...

The interior of the restaurant was painted black and adorned with watercolours of french landscapes, ornate mirrors and subtle chandeliers. What I liked in particular was the way they used the black walls to write the wine lists and specials. I know this concept isn't new , but since I had this folder of "black boards" in my database, it came to my attention and I decided to write a blog about it today..

It reminded me of this image - which I love...










ok this next pic - perhaps not as stylish as some of the ones prior, but I thought it was really quirky. It would work well in an a holiday house where different people are coming and going all of the time. It's nice for people to know where things are, and where to put them back... ahhhh organisation...



Another example of cupboard labelling...






The only issue I have with this interior decorating concept is chalk dust.... You would need to do some serious vacuuming every time you changed the picture... and I hate vacuuming.






Resene sell this paint in smallish tins (I think 1L) - it's a tad pricey, but  you could always
 share a can with a friend...

1 comment:

  1. I have recently seen kiwiana shapes eg "the kiwi" or pukeko or NZ outline which is a black cut out and that is like a blackboard!!! I thought it was very cool for a kitchen or something.

    ReplyDelete