Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Coconut CousCous

There's a trend with my baby food recipes... FAST! I'm not one of those mums who has time to oven bake stuff for a few hours, or stand over a stove for a long period of time. My attempts at bite sized muffins have so far failed... and a risotto is about as time hungry as my dinners get. This is why I love couscous. So versatile and fast.

So without further ado I present coconut couscous. So yummy that you'll hope your kid doesn't finish it so you can. As always this recipe will probably make more than one meal. It is great cold too... but I would save the leftovers before adding the coconut milk and water. I'd add in the coconut milk later when you're reheating it - otherwise serve it sans coconut.


I'll let you in on a little secret. This dinner started as left overs. I made the couscous the day before for Art's dinner when we were away using whatever was in the fridge and pantry and served it as a side dish with his lamb cutlets. To make the meal above, I added in the spinach and coconut milk, heated it through and voila! a new meal!

Art is just at that point of eating what we eat now, but as we eat in peace at 7.30pm with a civilised glass of wine in hand, and he eats at 5.30pm ... He doesn't tend to 'eat what we eat' at dinner time. Bearing this in mind, I do like to mix it up for him, sometimes serving simple meals and flavours, and other times more sophisticated flavour. This way, if our eating times ever coincided (like at a restaurant, or weekend dinner), I feel positive that he will eat whatever we are eating. Does that make sense?

Keen to hear from anyone who uses the recipes. Do your kids like them? Loathe them?

No comments:

Post a Comment