Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Lunch #2

I have a few of these stored up, but forget to share them due to daily life getting in the way...
Mr D has been overseas in Tahiti (LUCKY!!!!) , and I've been a solo working mother this week. It's been an adjustment! I have a new found respect for solo mothers around the globe. 

Despite whether one or two parents are here, this child needs to eat. So I made his lunch tonight while his Nana popped in to bathe him and put him to bed for me. 

The photos of these lunches are never going to be a masterpiece. They are taken in bulb light at about 8.30pm and with an iPhone... so let's not focus on the photo quality. Here's a breakdown with a few more ideas for other lunch box makers out there. 

Pasta: A mix of Vege/Rice Pasta and some wheat pasta spirals. Shredded roast chicken (from my dinner left overs) and steamed broccoli. I grate fresh parmesan over the top and add a squeeze of lemon juice and cracked pepper. He eats this cold. 

Muffin: I bought some Healtheries Bran Flakes and followed the recipe on the back for muffins. It actually worked and I didn't stuff them up! made enough for myself and Art to snack on for the week. 
They've got a bit of goodness in them to counteract the badness, so quite a good recipe. 

Sushi: I got a rice roll maker from the Japanese Home Store for about $3.00. It makes perfect rice rolls for mini sushi bites, so it's so easy to make! Rice in the rice cooker, filling in the rice roller, roll in seaweed, refrigerate, slice... voila! sushi for a little person. Here we have some plain cucumber, and some cream cheese and pineapple. 

Snack Cups:These silicone muffin cases are perfect for lunch boxes! In one I have some cubes of Havarti cheese, some cherry tomato and cucumber. In the other is sliced mango.

Vegetables: Steamed courgette and carrot sticks (left over from dinner). 

Please note: I'm no supermum. This isn't some Martha Stewart sugar coated b**!&$, I only share these lunch boxes because I find myself struggling for inspiration and need quick easy ideas after working all day. When I get a combo that is quick and easy, I share. Come hell or high water, this kid needs a lunch in his bag the next day. Sometimes it's just a marmite sandwich and fruit... and he loves it all the same, but I hope this helps to inspire others who are trying to cram as much variety into their kids as
possible too. 

I find that if you prepare the lunch during dinner prep it is much faster. The steamer is often on, throw in some veges, throw some pasta in the boiling water, get some rice in the rice cooker, chop up some veges and fruit.. before you know it you have a smorgasbord ready for your kid. One less thing to do in the morning. 

Goodnight. 





1 comment:

  1. Seriously supermum! My poor girl gets marmite sandwiches almost every day haha. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete