Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hey, Mum are you impressed?

I discovered something about myself this week.

Although I can't bake (except for gingersnaps) - I CAN refrigerate!

My friend is actually the tiramisu queen and would most likely shudder at the recipe I used. To justify, my recipe was inspired by the new Anabelle Langbein show and she definitely included raw eggs because I watched her separate them and whisk her egg whites until soft peaks formed. ok?

So I made them the raw egg way and didn't even have to turn the oven on.

Berry Tiramisu in a cup anyone?


As later discovered by our temporary housemate these actually tasted nicer the next day. So perhaps when they say refrigerate 4-6 hours... it should say 24 hours.

To be totally honest, I didn't really enjoy mine, (even though I demolished it) you could taste raw egg... yum. My dinner guests tried to eat it, but the boys politely rested theirs on the coffee table and forgot to finish it.
I had a taster of the '24 hour later' one, and it tasted sooooo much better! It was thicker, creamier and the berry juice had totally absorbed into the chocolate sponge...no raw eggness. I'm almost embarrassed that I served guests the 4-6 hour version. Sorry guys.

I can't find the recipe I used, but I liked it because it didn't have coffee in it and I hate coffee. It also had the raw egg thing which I knew Anabelle had, so I thought I was onto something. Keyword = thought.


Since scouring Google trying to find the link to the recipe I used, I have not been able to find one using raw egg. hmmmm... Maybe by replacing creamier ingredients for raw egg it was healthier??
I don't think it is any great loss not to be able to share the link for this dessert recipe, as I'm sure you all have better ones that your mum or grandma passed down to you.

Note: I didn't have nearly enough chocolate cake! I got a premade one from the supermarket (can't bake remember) and found I had to ration it! Never a good thing with chocolate cake. So my advice would be to buy 2...



Anyone interested in the recipe? Here is mine from (a very bad) memory.
4 eggs - separated
1 cup of sugar
1 chocolate sponge cake (use 2)
Can of boysenberries
Can of raspberries
Frozen mixed berries
250g marscapone
1 tsp vanilla extract.

I separated the eggs. Mixed the yolk and sugar together. Added vanilla. Mixed. I think I then added the marscapone. Whisked my egg whites in a separate bowl until my soft peaks formed. It didn't take too long. Folded the egg whites into my mixture. Layered cake into bottom of glass. Added berries and drizzled over the juice from the can. Spooned on the eggy cream mix. Layered cake. Added berries. Drizzled juice. Added eggy cream mix. Put some frozen berries on top to disguise the fact that I used canned ones inside. Put them in the fridge for 4-6 hours (recommend 24)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, I thought I would comment on your blog as nobody else seems too and the comment area seemed a tad lonely. You should post blogs more often and stop watching TV on Demand every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon. You're right, I don't think anyone reads this blog apart from you which would explain the lack of comments. Unfortunately TV on Demand is too good to stop watching. Have you tried it? I will blog more. just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought they were awesome Vic, :0) and agree on more blogging. Love the queen of lists, was having a good laugh out loud. (has to explain why to eveyone in the room and it didnt go down that well i must say.... %-)

    ReplyDelete