Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tick that off the list...

I'm tired from painting and doing several loads of washing... so I'll keep this one brief. Basically our front door is a dumping zone for shoes, rubbish bags, buckets and other such items and isn't too inviting. As summer approaches, the shoe collection by the front door begins to grow as more guests descend upon our house at the beach and forget to take their jandals home.

This was the process.

1. Retrieve an old wooden book case in the garage.
2. Find some white outdoor paint in the garage.
3. Re-home all of the daddy long legged spiders into the garden (I felt like they were family, all living in           this bookcase... and couldn't bring myself to squash them. Besides, they're nothing compared to the large black spiders I sometimes find in the bath that I have to re-home.
4. Lightly sand half of the bookcase. I only did half because I am lazy.
5. Wipe down the shelves with a damp cloth.
6. Paint the shelves white.
7. Put on another load of washing and watch snippets of the All Blacks parade (Yay All Blacks), while  waiting for each coat to dry.
8. Lightly sand again to remove the paint brush strokes and add some distressing to the edges of the shelf.
9. Place shoes on the shelf and collect some items from around the house to make it a more inviting entrance way.
10. Stand back and admire the improvement. A more functional, welcoming front door.

For once I think my DIY project worked, and didn't cost anything. Success!





No comments:

Post a Comment