Monday, February 13, 2012

How did you know?

A common question that is asked when telling people there's a baby in my belly...
How did you know?

Apart from the obvious 2 lines on the test, I had to think really hard about what signs there were (that I missed). After a good think back,  I realised, actually there were signs, I just pretty much ignored them for a while there.

The signs - and I'm sure everyone's body has a totally different way of letting it be known, but these were mine, in a brutally honest, lay it all out there kind of way.

It hurt to hug. It REALLY hurt. It's like I had two rocks out front and when someone gave me a squeeze it was like pushing those rocks into bruised chest bones. Not comfortable. There were some awkward hug moments in those first few weeks where male friends in particular would go in for a hug and feel awkward because they could ....feel my...ahhhh newly enlarged friends. One actually made a comment to Mr D while paddling out for a surf.. hah! Along similar lines, it hurt to sleep on my stomach, not that I'm much of a stomach sleeper, but the times I did... OUCH!

Itchy collarbones. I thought I must have been attacked by invisible mosquitoes who left little invisible bites just along my collarbones. I'm still not 100% sure this was related to Lenny, but it was out of the ordinary and lasted about 3 weeks.

Heartburn - This would have been one of the first signs now that I think about it. I was putting drops of lemon juice in my water bottle and stopped because I thought it was giving me heart burn. Turns out lemon juice in water is actually awesome for keeping morning sickness at bay, and it definitely wasn't the culprit for the heartburn. Lenny was.

Then there was the obvious waiting game for that little monthly visitor... but I am useless with those dates and rely on my body to remind me... however one day Mr D said.. "Ummm I think you might be... and I said "nah.....I know my body, I'm not".... then my friend said to me after I felt extremely nauseous whilst eating rolled pork head (vomit) at my birthday dinner outing "Ummmmm I think you might be.... and I said "nah.... I know my body, I'm not"....

Turns out I don't know everything.

So that's a long winded tale of how I knew. Now I bet you're all hugging yourselves, itching your collarbones and worrying about that pestering heartburn...I'm sure it's different for everybody though so don't stress yourself.

And now I guess I should put some sort of pregnancy related images on here, as it's getting rather texty.
Here's a fake smiling, just got home from work shot. My sister is going to relish in the fact that I have no waist anymore.



4 comments:

  1. Back in the land of communicado and so delighted I can follow your blog again...and your bump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Dharlia! let me know when you're free for a visitor - you can see the bump in person! x

      Delete
  2. Looking fab Vic, one of my tell tale signs was a sore lower back and I know what ya mean about receiving cuddles from people ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to know what everyone's signs were. So funny about the hugs, everyone seemed to be hugging me a lot during that time, I think because it was Christmas and New Year. Lots of celebrations on.
      Hope little cooper is doing great!

      Delete