Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Project time

A little project I did the other weekend using Resene Blackboard Paint. It took about 2 days in between coats and drying time. I actually did it properly this time, and I'd just pop out to the garage, quickly roll on a coat in 5 or 10 minutes and then leave it to dry for 3 hours, or whatever it said on the can. With these paints the longer you let it cure the better. We waited a whole week until we drew on it, following the advice from Resene. Torture!

It's so fun to have in the kitchen - we leave notes to each other, make reminders, update the shopping list and add other bits and pieces for fun. It was so easy to do and inexpensive, two great features whenever you're tackling some DIY. Here's my rough step by step.

Another great tip the Resene guy gave me, was to use  a soft cloth and soda water to give it a good clean. It beats scrubbing it with a crappy duster and stops chalk dust flying around. The doors dry really quickly, so within 30 seconds you can write on it again.

P.S. Crayola chalk is crap. I got so excited with my coloured chalk, and it didn't work. Made a horrible squeaking sound and was scratchy. I used some cheap "dust free" chalk from a local stationers. I am on the lookout for decent coloured chalk.

Pictures of the final product to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment