Sunday, September 11, 2011

DIY Birthday

When I asked my little sister what she wanted for her birthday, she asked for some handmade pillows for her house. I'm sure when she asked me, she never imagined the result.

I must admit, when I made my visit to the fabric shop I had a totally different vision in my head. I'm thinking ikat design, yellows, greys, chevron stripe etc... a mile away from what I ACTUALLY ended up with.

I was browsing through the fabrics, changing my vision every 5 seconds, with my mum standing by, becoming increasingly confused as to what it was I was actually looking for. Truth be told, when I discovered how limited the fabric selection was I began thinking of other possible birthday gifts I could just buy her. Just as I was losing hope, I discovered the softest pieces of flannelette fabric, and my homemade pillow plans were back on track...

With the flannelette in hand, I started thinking of textures. Flannelette holds a special place in my heart, and I started thinking about what textures my sister likes. Then it hit me...her cat!

She loves her fluffy Birman, Mikki so much,  it kills her that she can't sneak him across the Tasman in her carry on luggage... so what a better way to ease her breaking heart, than to make a replica Mikki pillow!

So now mum was really worried...

But as soon as she touched the white shaggy fur I had discovered, which was a close replica of my the beloved cat,  she was totally on board with the idea. She knew my sister would love it, as ridiculous as it was, we knew it was perfect.

And so that was that.

This is what I started with;

The pinstriped flannel is the most beautiful, softest flannel. I also got some contrasting polka dot flannel.


I then cut out an M for Mikki and ironed it onto the fabric using heat bonding paper. I also made a C pillow, as I felt sorry for the other, slightly grumpier, but beautiful cat, Charlie. I didn't want him to feel left out... 


I then blanket stitched in yellow embroidery thread around the letters to secure them to the fabric and bring more interest and colour into the pillow.

The pillows are flannel on the front and fluffy shag, cat like fur on the back.


Mum took the pillows over to Australia for my sister when she visited her on her birthday. I was unable to fill the pillows and take decent photos, as they needed to be flat for travel.

I stuffed them with some rolled towels and quickly took a photo before I went to bed that night - (hence the poor lighting and odd bumpy shapes)

The end result...

Two fluffy, 'cat like' bedroom pillows.



She loved them - and I'm sure her boyfriend was equally as thrilled. What guy wouldn't get excited about soft fluffy bed pillows...


Ironically - the pillows also reflect their own initials. So when their friends see them, they think they have personalised snuggle pillows. Again, I'm sure her boyfriend is thrilled... 

Here are the cats behind my inspiration; 

The one she loves the most (don't tell Charlie) and lets her do absolutely anything to him, Mikki. 

...and the grumpy, yet beautiful Charlie




Goodnight x

No comments:

Post a Comment