Saturday, September 24, 2011

Baby Shower

Earlier this year I organised a baby shower for my dearest friend who was 8 months pregnant with her little girl (my beautiful little goddaughter). As she was living overseas for most of her pregnancy, I found planning her baby shower overlapped with my own personal excitement for her return. This meant I probably (slightly) obsessed over making the day as special as possible for her.

I held the baby shower on the same lawn where she was married a few years earlier, which made the location (her family home), even more perfect.

The weather couldn't have been better. In fact, it became so hot we had to erect a marquee midway through to shelter from the sun.

As part of the day, I planned some games. It was hard to come up with games which would be easy to play with 20 people, as well as games that didn't take too much organising or explaining.

These were the games I decided to incorporate into the day (may help others planning a baby shower)

1.  Guess the name and weight. Not original I know, but my friend was still uncertain about the name she wanted, so I thought it may help... I made pre-printed cards with the baby's last name, and made little origami envelopes to place the name cards inside.

2. Taste Testing Game. I purchased 6 flavours of food, took them out of the jars, soaked the labels off and replaced them with numbered labels. I then had a jar of popsicle sticks and little pieces of paper numbered 1-6 for writing the answers. This game was really hard, not one person (even the mums) got 6/6.

3. Guess the Belly - again, not an original game, but an easy one. Pass around a ball of string and cut it to the size you think her belly is. Everyone has a turn to try the string around her waist.

4. I can't believe I don't have a picture of this, but I made "Babynairy" cards. My friend LOVES pictionary, and so I made some little cards with baby related items on them and we played a mini game of babynairy. I can't find the file anywhere, so you'll just have to imagine.

I used eat drink chic templates to make the labels and invites for the day. Here is a link to the template  (her website has the cutest range of printable templates).


For decoration, I placed pillows on the chairs in a variety of feminine, summery fabrics and blankets on the grass. I made some bunting to string around the trees, creating a picnic feel. 

My friend now has some of the bunting hanging in the nursery, which is a nice little piece of memorabilia.




No comments:

Post a Comment