Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Family History Part II

Another chapter of family history...

When visiting my grandparents a few months ago, they drove me to this beautiful church, where they were married over 50 years ago.

They also showed me where their parents and relatives were buried, in the family burial plot. It is a tad depressing when your Grandparents are showing you where they will be buried... "We are going here and here"... but at the same time, I'm glad Granddad showed me, and told me a little bit about what he does to care for the grave and to see for myself how special this area is to him.

His mother's grave is immaculate. Granddad cares for it with so much love, it looks brand new and really stands apart from the other, more neglected graves. It looks like the headstone was put there only yesterday.  I didn't take a photo of it, because it didn't exactly feel like the right time to get the camera out.  But it made me proud that my family plot was so well cared for and the people there were still loved and remembered.

They drove me around to show me their childhood homes and told me about their "boy meets girl" story, driving past the hall where they had dances together as teenagers. It was so special to hear them talking about their memories and finishing each others sentences.



There was a church service on when we were there, so I didn't get to go inside the Church. I'll be back again soon though for another dose of family time. It's pretty fun visiting as the only Grandchild...

No comments:

Post a Comment