Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Finger Food Options

Arthur loves food. It's not really a battle to get something in his mouth. (Long may that last!)
The battle though is for me to come up with new ideas to keep him interested in food and flavour. It's not that he becomes 'disinterested' in food... but I just like be introducing new textures and flavours on a regular basis to offer some diversity. He also likes the independence of feeding himself, so I try to incorporate a lot of finger food options into his diet.

I've read a little bit about baby led weaning. However, I'm not a devotee to any particular trend or theory in baby feeding and weaning, but I like to read a few different theories and ideas and then blend a few to find something that fits in with us.

I've found finger food to be great because the more he can feed himself, the more amused he is in that highchair while I prepare the main course. I've also found that spoon feeding him his main meal ensures that he has a nice full belly which results in a nice 11-12 hour night time sleep... and I'm not sure any 'theory' could persuade me to risk loosing that beautiful full night's sleep.

From what I've read on baby led weaning (limited reading) I've read that it helps a baby to determine when they are full. Makes sense. So I feed him his dinner with a spoon... then leave him with finger food to finish. Some nights he eats the whole lot, other times he will eat a few pieces, and then smash the rest or throw it on the floor, and I know he is full.
If I need time to prepare his main meal, I will start him with finger food, and then spoon feed him until he shuts his mouth and turns his head away from me. I won't keep pushing the spoon into his mouth at this point. I will leave a few pieces of food on the high chair table to pick at, just to make sure he is finished.

It is in my humble, first time mother opinion, that a blend of theories and concepts is a pretty safe option. Tailor your methods of parenting to suit the individual child you've created. Don't rely on a book, or what worked for someone else, to determine the path you go down. Try things and let your child let you know whether it's working or not (within reason).

This kid likes a combo of spoon feeding and finger food, so that is what we do. I have a feeling he likes the attention I give him when I feed each spoonful to him, and to be honest, that's ok with me.

So whilst on the subject of finger food, here is what I made the other day and it went down a treat. I struggle to find diversity in finger food options, so maybe this will help others?

Pumpkin CousCous Balls.


Dice pumpkin ( approx 1 cup).
Steam pumpkin
Cook 1/4 cup of couscous
Add steamed Pumpkin to cooked couscous
Mash pumpkin into couscous with fork
Sprinkle in grated parmesan cheese
Add cracked pepper to taste
Roll mixture into small balls.
Place extra balls in a container in the fridge as a handy snack.








1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete