Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Reality Check

I'm aware photos only show so much, I've said this before and will say it again.

My mum made a comment the other day during her visit about the very different picture painted on this blog versus the day to day reality of adjusting to life with a newborn. Ha! How dare she be honest.... We had a good laugh about it. 

It's true... here you see glimpses. You see a healthy, happy and beautiful baby boy smiling and cooing for the camera with his big blue eyes. What you don't see is those big blue eyes NOT closing for nap times... or the piles of washing covered in baby spew and poo. You don't see the old milk spew in my hair or the bags under my eyes or my tears of exhaustion at 2am trying to console a crying baby. Who wants to see photos of that?? No thanks. 

I won't lie, I don't feel motherhood comes totally naturally to me and I find this newborn baby stuff challenging, I think all first time mothers do though.  There are good days, great days, OK days and bad days. It's like two steps forward, one step back.  It's taking me a while to adjust to this new reality of ssshhhhing until my teeth go dry, rocking until my arms ache, walking until my feet hurt... and it's a full FULL time job. 

BUT - The best thing on this blog is I'm able to look at him in the photos, like you all do, and be reminded of just how god damn perfect my little man is and be reminded in my sleep deprived state that this is all worth it, that I'm a very lucky girl. I have an amazing husband who I watch being a hands on, fantastic dad to our son. Watching him bath Art always makes me smile, even though I stand there saying "babe watch his ears, babe his face went under"... Go away mum! We're having fun. 

This time is going to pass so quickly, so I don't have time to dwell on the negative. This blog celebrates the highlights of being a new mum and watching a newborn grow. Occasionally there will be moments or lessons learned that I'll share in the hope it may help others, but all babies are so different that what worked for one, probably won't work for another... 

At the end of the day, spew can be washed out of my hair, concealer can hide the bags (or hemorrhoid cream can fix them! haha), and the tears stop as soon as that baby smiles at me and I've had one more hour of sleep. 

My friend is fantastic for telling me to stop complaining about shit. She says " OK I'm sick of you whinging (mother of a toddler) about your baby not napping long enough or doing what you think he should be doing... no more complaining! I don't want to hear it... he is a baby!!! he does baby things! Get over it" 

They aren't her exact words, but close to it... and she's totally right (and awesome) for saying it. Shut-up and enjoy the journey. 


Less of this... 



More of this...



Ahhh that's better. 





1 comment:

  1. Love this! Such true words. Someone told me when Robbie was a newborn (after a crap day) to go and watch him for a couple of minutes while he slept. Worked wonders then and still does! (Just dont wake him up! ha)

    ReplyDelete