Thursday, June 24, 2010

Flavour of the month...

I have been seeing so many pictures of maps popping up around the place lately. Using maps as art or wallpaper didn't jump out at me initially as an interior decorating concept... but the more I see them around, the more they seem to grow on me.

Over the past few weeks I have found myself right clicking on several images with maps in them. So many, I had to actually create a little folder for them to live in. This is a pretty big deal if you ever saw how lazy I am when it comes to sorting digital files on my computer...

So before the folder spilled over and I lost interest, I thought I would post a few on here. I've noticed they are used a lot in decorating a kids bedroom, so friends with kids, these might inspire you.

The concept may also work quite well for those of you who have exhausted your savings globe trotting - a cheap wall paper to cover up the abused walls in your scummy, but 'fantastically located' flat.

Me? Well, I just discovered two world maps rolled up in a tube in the corner of my office. Perhaps we will put them on the walls of the board room to inspire us when we are conjuring up ideas for world domination.... I mean ....packaging...

Enough waffle - time for pictures...




via

I like the vintage fish prints in this room too


These guys sell nice maps... http://www.futuremaps.co.uk/
but they are in the UK.... they make the maps in contemporary colours to match interiors. You pay a pretty price for that....

This place however http://www.aucklandmapcentre.co.nz/ has your classic school atlas map (1950mm x 1200mm) which would suffice given that a wall map would most likely become one of those "great DIY ideas for sprucing up a dull wall that you read about on this freaken random blog a few months back" that you may get sick of eventually. There are alot of places on the web where you can download vintage maps to print for free which would look great too.

Shall we continue?







That will probably do for maps...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah i remember a few years ago some designer made some clothing with the New York bus routes or train routes on it. well it was something like that. it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these would look awesome in my library area

    ReplyDelete