Monday, May 17, 2010

Embracing the Bernina Nova 900

A while back I "borrowed" my mums sewing machine to whip up a few pillows for around the house.

The Bernina Nova 900 was responsible for the fluro printed rara skirts I flaunted in the 80's and some sweet mesh overskirts that I wore over white pants in the 90's... nice.

It was also fundamental in the creation of some very special quilts made over the years, and even my dad's business shirts back in the day. Needless to say, my mum knows a thing or two about sewing.

I figured some of this skill maybe rubbed off on me... somewhere? Surely these types of skills are passed between generations?... but I have to be honest... I have struggled.

Fortunately we live in a time where "google" and youtube are close at hand. I typed in "how to thread a Bernina Nova 900" and magically a youtube video appeared showing me step by step exactly what I needed to know! Incredible.

Well I thought so.

And ever since that little video appeared in my life, my sewing has improved ten fold. No more jammed stitches or bobbins...

I thought, given that my mum 'gifted' me this machine (yes I know, borrowed, gifted, taken...whatever) I should make her something to show my gratitude. So I made her a reversible bag to take to the markets on Sundays which was inspired by a post found on this blog. I chose some Amy Butler fabric which set me back more than my usual spotlight purchase, and took me two days to eventually cut into!

Here are the results:



Like any woman with a large bag - I thought mum would have trouble locating her phone and keys. So I made two little pockets inside for them to reside in.
The only thing I didn't have on this bag was some type of closure. I have since found a very easy tutorial to improve on this design so watch this space. I think this would also make quite a good beach bag, so I might make some more of these...
Time to do the dishes. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Nice.. I like the combination of patterns.. you could have told me that was MIMCO and I would have believed you.. ;) x

    ReplyDelete