Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Food. I freaken love you.

I'm currently rather hungry, so food is on my mind.I thought it would be appropriate to blog about food.
I am a hopeless cook, and an even more hopeless baker...

For example- I tried to make a pavlova in France to compliment my husbands roast leg of NZ lamb he made (which he cooked perfectly!) I got the treasured family pavlova recipe from his mum... I ended up with a brown, chewy flat mess and made an emergency trifle style dessert... with layers of fresh berries, butter sponge cake, yogurt with marshmallow and grated chocolate... it was...edible.

I tried to also make hokey pokey cookies for my flatmates once. Guys eat anything right?
No. They actually don't. It's a myth.
The cookie started out well until everyone had a burning sensation start up in their throat and started coughing... cookie fail.

I've taken to buying Mrs Higgins frozen cookies which you place in the oven for 15 mins. White chocolate and macadamia! Fool proof.... and they make your house smell nice.

Although I fail in the cooking department quite often, I've found a niche talent for making dips. Talent may be too strong a word for it... ability is perhaps more accurate.

I have two to speak of so far in my repertoire, and only one photo.

This is a dip I made to compliment a baby spinach, walnut and pear salad. The dip/dressing is served in the jar with a spoon and you drizzle it over the salad. I always like to dress up the jar a bit to detract from the possible disaster looming under the lid. As they say "you eat with your eyes".

Blue Cheese Dip (from memory)
Blue cheese (creamy, crumbly stuff)
1 tsp Whole Seeded Mustard
Juice from half a squeezed lemon
Half a cup of sour cream
Half a cup of Mayo
Salt + Pepper

I mixed it all up in a kitchen whizz thing. I added more blue cheese and whizzed again until I got the right strength.

Yum.

Now for the evidence that I did actually make this:


I also made this beetroot dip for a pink themed baby shower recently which was surprisingly delicious! I upped the cumin to 2 tsp rather than 1.

Taste.com.au

If you are a total foodie - check out my friends new blog about food and travelling... yum!

I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment